Friday 9 July 2010

Sixth Form Induction Day Awards

So, our first ever day in sixth form was finally upon us all, and saddly, it did not live up to my expectations! I think this was for two reasons:
  1. I had just had an entire week away from any school, and to have to get up at the butt crack of dawn just to drag my carcuss 2 miles before the sun had even risen (practically) was rather a shock to the system.
  2. I actually had to do some work at school. I was not expecting that.
  3. I was hoping for lots of really great new people to join the year group, and that did not happen in my opinion. However, I am notoriously picky when it comes to first impressions, so maybe in a couple of months one may be judged worthy, and then will be subjected (unconciously) to rigourous personality and apptitude as a friend tests by me. If they succeed however, then they will gain my unwavering loyalty.
Thankfully the second day was better, mostly because I had fewer lessons, my new red Chucks were worn in after the first days trecking about the school, and classrooms discovered air-con. Instead of giving a long rambling re-cap though, I am simply going to award some of the best and worst moments of the entire experience.

Award for Rudest but Predictable Person

Ms Weiner, for cackling very openly at our latin teacher's huge sweat patches. Granted it wasn't the nicest thing in the world to look at, but give the guy a break - it was damn hot and antiperspirant deoderant barely works anyway.

Award for the Funniest Cartoon Used in a Lesson

My new psychology teacher with this chicken-inspired one.

Award for the Most Boring Lesson

Latin, but luckily for me, I kind of expected that anyway, so wasn't dissapointed. Not saying that latin itself isn't an interesting subject, but just the lesson is.

Award for the Stupidest Thing Said

Some not-so-bright girl with 'Oh my God, that is such a coincidence, Jesus being born on Christmas day and all!'

Award for the Most Pointless Activity They Made Us Do

Look up ISBN numbers for books about people in the past - I don't mind a history lesson, but I thought stupid activities where you can't even pick the group you work with stopped in the sixth form. Apparently not.

Award for the Scariest Speech

Has to go to Miss Kelly, my ace philosophy teacher with her opening speech filled with horror stories of making us write 1000s of essays, and us having to work for an extra 5 hours after school every damn day! The optimist in me doesn't believe her. (Next year you can keep up with the essays at http://www.platoscavealumni.blogspot.com/)

Award for the Best Gender Mix-up

My psychology teacher - she assumed I was I was a guy and said that everyone in the class conformed to gender norms. Ummm, no!

Award for the Most 'Out There' Piece of Clothing

Cathy wearing her school shoes - no-one else could possibly pull that move off, but she made it cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment