Wednesday 15 September 2010

The First Day of the Rest of My Life

(Dear readers, I'm really sorry I didn't get this post out to you all sooner as I said I would - my internet was murdered and we're still having problems with collating all of our writers. If you're at all interested in writing, the email address is on out contact page. I hope you like this post!)

Damn. I had forgotten how 7am felt. I think that alarms in the morning are just about the most empty sound I've ever heard - they're loud, insistent and strike impending doom in your sleep-clouded mind, but they also have absolutely no substance to them, nothing behind the noise, y'know? It's a cold, cold sound. Anyway, I digress. My alarm went off and I was dragged from my nice warm bed to face the term ahead of me.

In the interests of morale and optimism/realism, here's a great song to kick of the new school year/chapter of life with. Chances are, you've already heard it, but no harm in listening again.




I was a tad apprehensive about starting the school year - it's hard to get back into work after 10 weeks off (note to self: Ab, never take a gap year, it will be your undoing). I won't deny my enjoyment at finally getting to wear my own clothes to school, but I do feel like I've lost my cause by not having any uniform to rebel against. I know, I know, how awful my First World Problems are. Still, I wore a t-shirt on which I'd scrawled 'Barbie is so plastic' (well I think it's hilarious) over a blue shirt that my Mother says does wonders for my eyes, and a pair of hiking boots cos after dragging up to school and back and traipsing around all the buildings, I find my feet can get sore in flat shoes, Plus, the boots allow me to crush people's feet in the too-small corridors if they try and push me or others around. Punks have gotta learn.

It was also interesting to see what sorta stuff people in my year would choose to wear, even if I'm not exactly a big fashion follower! There was a lot of Super Dry stuff about, which I'm blaming on the new Super Dry store that opened recently in Milton Keynes (nearest city to us). Although it mostly looks nice and all, that gear really is a rip-off - you practically have to take out a mortgage to buy one t-shirt. Other things I have learnt this week about dress and myself:
  • I hate grey trackies with a mad and crazed passion. Seriously, they will never look good on anyone! And what's the deal with wearing them to school anyway guys?
  • Most of the girls in my year dress tarty.
  • I regard tarty as tight jeans, tops that I can see bras through and that show skin.
  • As that is hardly a modern outlook on dress, I am in the wrong century.

After we all assembled in our new sixth form common room (doesn't rock as much as I thought it would, but still, we've reached it's dizzying heights at last!), the timetables were all dished out and I have some really crap days going on. One day I have double chemistry and then triple physics, and on another I have double chem, trip physics and then latin! Heavy, but hopefully I'll survive it. At least I had philosophy (http://www.platoscavealumni.wordpress.com/ for philosophical essays and debates) on the first day which rocked as per norm. This year, me and Cathy (philosophy partner in crime for the past two years, D of E Queen) have been joined by Megan (best friend and premature old lady) which is ace, and the tables have been pushed together so I sit next to Abi (detective and physics loon) too, and we are gonna get some good debates/discussions going, plus eat lots of cakes and tea (our tradition). Something about the subject seems to attract great bakers (Cathy, Harry - shame we lost Liam). Only food tech could ever beat philosophy on the food stakes, I'm telling you!

So, The Rest of My Life is looking good (I hope yours is too!) - A-levels aren't half as much work so far as I thought they'd be, which bodes well for my grades and Oxford uni ambitions. Still, I have totally forgotten how to add up over the holidays which might be a slight hindrance...

Oh, and in other news, the hot new boy that some of my friends were predicting/hoping for has not materialised yet. Any chance he's been directed to your school? I promised them I'd find him!

2 comments:

  1. I know the feeling, first day. Its a wonder I actually made it and wanted to go in every day afterwards. 6th form rocks!!!
    hehe "Most of the girls in my year dress tarty." I can relate to that...some do look older than their age too! To sixth form...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoy your life in the sixth Juanita. Yeah, we were discussing this at lunch the other day - some of the girls just look so damn old!

    ReplyDelete