Tuesday 12 October 2010

Hit By A Flying Ham Sandwich

Hello Readers.
Now, firstly I have to apologise for the incredibly long build up to my initial post – no doubt you’ve all been waiting in suspense for this grand moment. But hey, I like to build up the tension, keep you on the edge of your seats. So....behold.
Now, as a student in the younger years sixth form seems like this type of paradise – the ultimate school year(s). You’re promised a never ending list of delights; your OWN clothes, free periods, a limited amount of lessons of your own choice PLUS you get to cut in the tuck queue.
But alas, September arrives and the realisation hits you. These misleading statements above are not all that they seem to be.
My own sixth form experience began on our two induction days, well awaited by us enthusiastic year 11 students, fresh out of the exam halls (GCSEs). Five minutes into the day, I’m hanging with a few members of the group outside, sitting on the bench which –back then- we had chosen as our own (due to being kicked out of the social ‘cause of language orals) each admiring everybody’s choice of 6form induction clothing, when –THUMP- hit by a flying ham sand which. Turning around I see a huddle of giggling year nines. I mean WHAT?! Well, obviously – this was a sign. My 6th form life was doomed from then on. Fate TRIED to tell me to get out, & get out fast, but I – the determined person I am – ignored fate. Not two minutes later Katie (member of the crew) is hit by a flying piece of orange peel – but as Ab so rightly said at the time, fruit skin is not animal carcass.
But for future eager 6 formers...just a few warnings.
1) Just because it’s less subject by NO MEANS does it mean less work. Hell no.
2) Wearing your own clothes is cool for the first few weeks of planed wardrobe preparation... but then you get to the 5 mins to catching the bus, ‘WHAT THE HELL AM I GOING TO WEAR?!’ stage.
3) Apparently they don’t expect you to sleep in sixth form.
4) Free periods=work periods.
5) That old folk’s tale about cutting in at tuck? (Okay, this is mainly for Woottoners, I admit) but LIE. Year 9s, 10s & 11s – all those 6th formers you see pushing in front of you & you just stand back & accept it, ‘cause they’re 6th formers and it is blatantly another one of their special privileges...well, no they are by no means doing this legitimately. Being a person who’s conscience is easily made guilty (& cutting the queue would plague me for weeks afterwards) so off to the end of the line I go.
But I’m being dramatic. ‘Part from those points stated above, the sixth is not a bad place to be. ‘Specially when you have one awesome group of friends, as I doJ (thought I’d go a bit soppy on you there guys, sorry).
Before I sign off lemmie just add in a little advertising (so long as Ab, editor in chief allows). For all of you Bedfordians out there, or maybe those of you who think, ‘Hmm, it’s about time I visited that lovely little town of Bedford’ (AHAHAHA) in November Sharnbrook Mill Theatre’s youth will be performing that well renowned (and by far the best musical in the entire world) ‘Les Misérables’. Both my friend Lou & I will be partaking, there are nine shows in all 12th-20th November (plus Saturday mats, minus Sunday or Monday). Les Mis is an amazing show & totally worth watching - tickets can be purchased Bedford’s box office (01234 269519), but hurry – they’re selling out fast. For any extra info just contact MeganLouiseEllen@gmail.com .
So that’s me & my debut blog finished, now to the English Lit (essays, essays, essays).
See y’all, Megan.

No comments:

Post a Comment