Thursday 23 December 2010

Uniform Irony

Sorry there's been no posting for a while. I think we all seriously underestimated the amount of work A-levels were gonna be plus the others just keep forgetting to post! Ah well, you've got me again. I'll try to be more regular in the new year!

Something most of us were looking forward too about sixth form (apart from having our own common rooms, but they're too small and silent anyway) was FINALLY GETTING TO CAST ASIDE THE CRAPPY UNIFORM AND WEAR OUR OWN CLOTHES! I don't normally use capitals, but as anyone who remembers my struggles with authority over the uniform code throughout my school life, a lack of uniform is something I'm passionate about. For those of you who don't know what our uniform consisted of, it was plain black trousers (or skirt), white collered shirt and a hideous black-ish school jumper. I hated that jumper with a mad and crazy passion, similar to how I feel about leopard print leggings and fur. Consequently, I barely wore it except to exams and assemblies, instead opting to wear my variety of black waistcoats over the shirt (and earning myself the imaginitive knickname 'Waistcoat' from Liam and Tysoe). *Nostalgic* My favourite waistcoat must've been confiscated at least 5 times.

But anyway, we get to wear our own clothes, be unique etc, but the irony is, most of us wear the same stuff as each other. Not carbon copies, but pretty close. T-shirts, hoodies, shirts, leggings, black jackets... and of course, the omnipresent jeans form our new uniform. And the worst part is, it's basically inescapable. If you were like 'screw t-shirts', how many other alternatives are there that aren't already out there? Plus we all have to shop for clothes, meaning the clothes we buy will most likely be modern ones, therefore bear a certain similarity. Bummer for all you hipsters.

Anyway, enough pessimism about the corporate world sucking our individuality like juice from an orange - I finally learnt to dress myself (vaguely) well! I can just about match colours now (apparently my belief that everything in my wardrobe went with everything else was wrong) and have learnt that checks don't go with checks. All valuable life skills. I've also realised that I've worn some form of boots every day except one to school so far. This includes my hiking boots, badass black boots and variety of converse. Mmm, maybe I have something going on about showing my ankles in public.

5 comments:

  1. You're right, we do all wear the same junk. wtf is up with superdry clokthing too - it totes gets around. i swear every guy has at least 1 item from there.

    Awesome blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers!

    Well all guys except Harry of course ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. regular eh...

    Personally I think people may say that I might have had more variety clothes-wise with a uniform than with the clothes I have now! LOL

    But I do love my sixth-form "uniform" that I have now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually LIKE uniforms OUCH! yep. But, as on our old nostalgic sit com tv show Facts of Life, Jo and Blair wore their uniforms very differently! I'm laffin at that coat-thing. How do adults confiscate a coat!?
    D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will forever remember your multiple jumpers Harry - the thought of you in a SD hoodie makes me laugh!

    And Frog, I loved Jo's uniform, but it sucks when you all look the same :( And a waistcoat is a vest to you Americans. The teachers just demanded I take it off and hand it over, and not wanting my parents involved, I had to oblige. Then it was taken captive in the deputy's office for a week at a time.

    ReplyDelete