Wednesday 27 October 2010

Surprise Surprise, Life is Big

The older I get, and particularly recently, the more I realize that life isn't going to be how I imagined it (is that just a tad naive?). Not in a bad way, just not how I expected. Plus, I hate when people whine on their blogs about there lives if there's no real problem, and I have no actual problems, only work to avoid. Also, I don't want you lovely readers to be surrounded by negativity to be honest!

Don't get me wrong, I never worked out one of those 'life paths' for myself - y'know, marriage, children, mortgage etc. I might get all those things, but I might not and I'm not too bothered about that right now. But by unexpected, I mean life is just so much more than I know. It's exciting to know there's so much out there, but, like all the customizable functions a mobile phone, I don't know what to do with it all. Through sixth form and thinking of the omnipresent Future, I've started to see how broad things are, but how narrow the life we have the time to live will probably be. We'll move in similar social circles, do the same sort of things, make the same decisions and mistakes and be the people we grew into. I don't think that life is boring by any account, we will usually choose who we associate with and what we do, therefore you'd hope we enjoy what we pick, but there's only so much we can do in a lifetime, even if we spend our time as a nomad.


Dudes, prove it wrong.

Listen to me; 16 years old and already resigned to the fact that 'life's too short'! It's a shame really, that it doesn't go on longer, as I would have quite liked several highly successful careers and degrees, let alone a few platinum albums and an Oscar in the same year I get a Nobel Prize! So yeah, my super-realistic life probably won't be led by one person, and I feel resent because of this. Not the bitter, caustic resent that causes people to smash people's wedding cakes and cut family members out of wills, but resent nevertheless. I blame the schools and I blame society. What they tell you as a kid is that you can be anything you want, and that you can do everything so long as you work for it. This is blatently untrue, as I'm sure you've worked out by now. Often, no matter how much you want something, you just won't get it cos for all number of reasons. But stuff it, you'll probably get something, and ultimately being alive is better than not, even if the afterlife rocks, because you only get one go at being you.

The best policy that I've seen so far is to go all Buddhist and try and be happy with what you have - try and enjoy crap things like washing up an work, accept life for what it is and damn well make your inner voice the best it can be, cos you've got to spend your lifetime listening to it!

2 comments:

  1. Great words of wisdom, true though why do schools advise people they can be when its obvious its impossible? We can work towards it but we won't exactly be where we dreamed. great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers J, schools need to learn how to ground us properly so we don't become disalusioned adults!

    ReplyDelete